10.03.2012

Mario Bermudez Gil's Interview at Spain Culture NY


A tiny Café in East Village to talk with MARIO BERMUDEZ GIL an andalusian dancer that moved to New York City in 2010.

TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR STYLE.
The most impacting thing about my performance now by Gallim Dance, is the MOVEMENT, the quality; the play is very strong and physical, very ATHLETIC. We work a lot with different muscles of the body, that you ever release you have them! You are trying to DISCOVER new things; we play a lot of movements.
I've always dance contemporary dance. From Centro Andaluz in Spain, to Gallim in NY. Jennifer Muller, the company that brought me here to NY, was more theatrical, and Gallim is more EXPERIMENTAL.
Gallim is a great experience because the technique and the IMPROVISATION are really important. You can search in your own body, in your movement. Also you give to the choreographer whatever you feel, you play together with her and you try to find pleasure in what you do.

Gallim Dance, http://www.gallimdance.com/, is the New York-based contemporary dance company of wild-child Spanish-American choreographer Andrea Miller. Miller's work embodies fearless physicality, grounded by deep humanity and expressed through the madness and joy of the imagination.
- "Voluptuously polyglot choreography" (The New York Times)
- "Sexy, reckless, and edgy as hell... As exciting as high art can get" (Nashville Scene)


 
HOW DO YOU MANAGE LIVING BETWEEN SPAIN AND NEW YORK?
It's very hard to me to be so far of the family, but I'm also used to it, because I leave my house young. Jennifer Muller offers me to come to NY two years ago, and it was the moment that I thought: "now or never, it is your opportunity".
Also, when I return to Spain, even for vacation, I try to perform and bring the contemporary dance there, to my village. I want to bring near this culture to young and senior people.

Jennifer Muller the Works is a contemporary dance company that has applied a multi-disciplinary approach that weaves dance, theater and visual arts to create dances. The company is qualified as ?Visionary, Passionate, Provocative".

Gallim Dance by Franziska Strauss

WHY NY?
When Jennifer Muller invited me to NY, It was my first time here, and actually my first time abroad. The first time I go out from Spain, I went to NY!
I like to be in NY, because it´s a great city, with huge opportunities, for all kind of jobs, not only dance. If you have something different you want to do, to open new perspectives, here you've the opportunity do it.

NY was the first city he visited out of Spain; now with Gallim Dance he performs a lot of tour through all over the world like Canada, Germany, Boston, Atlanta, Houston...

YOUR PERSONAL PLACE?
I have lot of places in NY. But when I need to be alone, to relax, to think, I go to the Brooklyn Bridge, walk under it, to watch the water, the Manhattan skyline? I've also dance there! Dumbo Dance Festival, it was amazing.

YOUR ADVICE FOR THE SPANISH ARTISTS AT NEW YORK:
You will need willpower and fight for what you want. You change your life absolutely. This city it's beautiful and huge but at the same time you have to be really strong, professional? you've to build your life alone and you will discover yourself.

Published at Spain Culture New York, Consulate General of Spain in NY's website, on May 30th 2012: http://www.spainculturenewyork.org/beta/cms/mapping-the-arts/spanish-creators-in-ny/spanish-creators-detail/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=24&cHash=bffbe9d7be68f33602da7ff18ba53685

No hay comentarios: