2.26.2013

Bubi Canal interviewed by Spain Artist NY

Cheekily and warmly speaks Bubi Canal, a visual artist living in New York City, about his irreverent, sunny and amusing images that don't come from theory but from LIFE, his life, (his) friends and day to day.

  • WHAT DO PEOPLE REMEMBER ABOUT YOUR WORK?
People usually say that my work is colorful, mysterious and fun. One of my favorite descriptions of my work was the title that Beautiful Decay used: Bubi Canal's Magical Wishes.

  • WHICH ARE THE ISSUES THAT CONCERN YOU? And HOW DO YOU WORK WITH THEM?
My work is about me and how I relate to the world. I have the need to broadcast what is happening inside of me to the world. It makes me very happy to do this and to be able to help others the same way other artist have helped me believe in my dreams.
I use many different types of media such as photography, video and sculpture. I love to use found objects and to recycle plastic pieces from old toys and games. I like to create characters and to work with them in different locations and situations.
The people who appear in my work are people who are close to me, not models or actors. Sometimes I make self-portraits and perform in my videos, it's very easy for me work with my body.
Recently, I conducted a photography workshop in New York with an amazing group of students and it was a really wonderful experience for me to share and create with other people.

 
  • HOW DO YOU MANAGE YOUR WORK BETWEEN USA AND EUROPE?
I feel very lucky because people can appreciate my work in different countries and I like to connect with different cultures.
I'm learning a lot by doing shows in different places. I present my first solo gallery show in New York at Munch Gallery until May 10th. It's so awesome to share my new works in Manhattan. I'm so excited and happy to have the opportunity to be doing this show!

  • TELL US, WHY NEW YORK?
I was born in Santander. I lived in Bilbao, where I studied Fine Arts and then I lived and worked in Madrid for seven years. I always wanted to live in New York, a lot of artists that have inspired me have lived here and I really appreciate American culture.
I moved to New York in 2011 for love and it was the best decision that I've made in my life. I know so many fantastic people here and I'm experiencing exciting and new things every moment.
  • Can you explain WHERE COMES YOUR INSPIRATION FROM, WHAT IS THE MOST MAGICAL PLACE FOR YOU IN NEW YORK?
Everything that is around me can inspire me.
I especially like to look inside myself for inspiration.
In New York I love Coney Island. I'm not sure why, but I feel a special energy there. It is a very magical place to me. I've not used Coney Island as a location in my work yet, but I'm certainly going to do so in the near future.




  • And to finish this conversation, YOUR ADVICE FOR SPANISH PEOPLE THINKING ABOUT COMING TO THIS UNIQUE CITY:
I can't say enough how strongly I urge my fellow Spaniards to come to New York City. The city is very open to everybody and it felt like home for me from the first day I arrived here.
Magic things have happened to me here, and they could happen for you too.
Publish by Spanish Consulate in NY at February 2nd, 2013 http://www.spainculturenewyork.org/beta/cms/mapping-the-arts/spanish-creators-in-ny/spanish-creators-detail/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=31&cHash=65d72b8994b6dfaa3a5609d66d3db912

No hay comentarios: